Planning & Building


The City contracts with Linn County Planning for Plan Review and Inspection Services. However, all permits for properties within the City limits (*with the exception of electrical permits) must be submitted directly to the City. Residential plumbing and mechanical permits can be issued same day at City Hall. For answers to frequently asked questions, please see the Permit FAQ below. For permit application forms, please visit the Forms & Applications Page.
*Electrical Permits are submitted directly to Linn County Planning & Building.

Click HERE to schedule an inspection or to check on permit status.

Land Use Planning
Land Use Planning applications (Partitions, Lot Line Adjustments, Subdivisions, Variances, and others) have various processes as defined by the Halsey Development Code (HDC). Many applications require review by the City Planner and the Planning Commission and can take several weeks or longer, due to requirements for noticing and the logistics involved in processing a more complex application. Depending on the type of application, a surveyor and/or a civil engineer and professionally drawn plat maps may be required. If you are preparing to submit a Land Use Planning Application, please contact City Staff for more information on the process that your application type will require.

If you are considering a major project, a land use application, or something complicated that might require variances, you have the option of requesting a Pre-Planning Meeting. There is a fee for the meeting, of which will be applied to the deposit charged by the City for Land Use Applications or Site Design Review Applications. This is meant to give applicants with a complex project access to the City Staff to determine feasibility prior to starting a project. Certain kinds of applications are governed by “Type III — Quasi-Judicial” processes — these applications require a Pre-Planning Conference. Examples of a Type III application would be an application to change Zoning, a Subdivision with more than four lots, or a Class C Variance.

Supporting Documents


Do I need a Permit?
About Permits

Oregon law requires permits for a range of work on your home to make sure that the improvements meet minimum building requirements to ensure safety. Permits are required for all new construction as well as for specific alterations to existing homes, including structural, plumbing, mechanical and electrical changes or installation. Most construction projects will require a permit, including work in the City Right of Way (including planting trees).

Sheds, Fences, & Driveways

Some projects, such as sheds or fences will not require a permit, but must adhere to Halsey Development Code Standards. For more information, click HERE to view our Sheds, Fences, & Driveways Flyer.
The City contracts with Linn County for building code review and inspections.Building permits are first reviewed by the City, and then sent to Linn County for review. Because of this review process,permits for a new single family home can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks.Commercial permits may take longer if a site design review is required,which may require a Planning Commission Meeting.
Applying For a Permit
  • Residential, mechanical, or plumbing permits can be issued over the counter at City Hall same day. These include (but are not limited to) projects such as: replacement of a hot water heater, installation of gas piping or water lines, bathroom fan replacement, or furnace/heating system installation.
  • Building permits are reviewed by the City and then submitted to Linn County for review. This process can take several weeks. Linn County Planning & Building can be reached at 541.967.3816.
Please visit the Forms & Applications page to download application materials.
circle graphic contact icon
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Closed 12 PM - 1 PM